At the West train station, it was a bit confusing. Mama had told me to get out and go to "the bus stop", but there were several.

After going from North to South to North (quite a walk), I found the right bus, and jumped on.

Only 2 Yuan (about 50 cents). Sweet!

By about the third stop, there were so many people crammed on. There were people with bedding, big bags, and even animals!

I tried to stay near the front, and near my bags. This became more and more difficult, but thankfully people were a bit accommodating, I guess because they could tell I was unfamiliar with how it all worked.

Towards the end of the trip, I sneezed loudly. Somebody nearby gestured to me that I had given the bus driver quite a fright! It's the loudest I've ever sneezed in my life, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Paid close attention, and finally found the right stop. Got off and walked back to the diplomatic compound.

With Mama, we went over to the LG Twin Towers to the Qantas office to ask if we could get a Qantas flight back to Australia without a (exit) visa. Not too surprisingly, the answer was no.

We drove to the Australian embassy a few suburbs away.

It was great to see the Australian flag!

Once inside, it was even more reassuring to be speaking Aussie English!

They told me I had to get an emergency passport. It would cost about $100 and only be valid for 7 months, so I'd have to apply for another expensive one as soon as I got back home.

More fun were the identity requirements. It turned out that the Melbourne passport office didn't have the authority to print a passport on my behalf, and instead I had to re-apply in Beijing.

Further, I had to provide copies of my birth certificate and change of name certificate, but apparently the Melbourne passport office was having fax problems, so the stuff Arriahne had given them the day before couldn't be sent thru.

Aaargh!

And if that wasn't enough, I had to get two new passport photos, witnessed by an Australian citizen who'd known me for over twelve months.

It didn't matter that I had a military attache with me, it had to be an Australian citizen.

Or a lawyer or policeman or something.

Or a teacher!

Brigitte's a teacher!

It was quite comical. As soon as she said she was a teacher, that was enough to get things moving. No proof required! :-)

Next thing, the application was being processed, and the embassy person told me it would take "two days".

Two days would be too late for me to get my flight, but there was a little bit of wink, wink, nudge, nudge, you might get it tomorrow.

We went home.

Around 5pm, we got a phone call. My passport would be ready tomorrow morning.

Woo!

Spent the evening going for a walk a couple of suburbs East to find the nearest WalMart to get some more razor blades.

Quite an interesting walk.

Again, trying to avoid pedestrians, cars, and buses.

At one point, I had to jump over a half-height fence into a garden to avoid a huge stream of people on the footpath.

The WalMart was in a big shopping centre, or so the sign said, so I walked in.

No obvious signs to WalMart once I got in there, so walked around for a bit.

Found a Starbucks and figured it was time I tried Starbucks, Chinese style.

They had a "Caffe Americano", which turns out to be about the same as what we call a long black in Australia.

They also didn't have a flat white, which is my favourite, but they did have a caffe latte, which is about the same.

It cost 30 Yuan ($6) for a tall!

Back home it costs $3.55!

The coffee beans were expensive too (95 Y), but they *are* nice! :-)

They also had wireless internet.

Would have been good to know that. If the one in Xian had it too, I could have been in touch a bit more regularly, and in Shanghai I could have probably saved some money rather than use the hotel internet. Or at least got some good coffee while paying too much. ;-)

After that (I guess it was at least 7pm by then), I walked around some more and finally found the WalMart. Thank God for opening hours in China!

Bought a bunch of stuff, including some Chinese-labelled wine as a small gift for the Winkelmayers, plus a carry-on, wheely American Tourister suitcase. Was quite cheap too.

Headed back home to write a few blogs about Shanghai and Xian (still being a bit behind), and get some sleep.

Labels: , , ,